Hey guys! If you are looking for a project to do this winter, this low-cost DIY floor makeup is definitely one to try!
After having our son, my husband and I decided to ditch the cramped apartment and find something a little more livable. We ended up finding the perfect house, it had a big private yard, and three big bedrooms. The perfect home to start our family. There was only one problem. Since the house was built almost fifty years ago, the floors had some very ugly, outdated vinyl. Since we put all of our money into buying the house, we didn’t he much money to do anything with them. I searched the Web for a cheap fix for our ugly problem, I found the perfect solution. Paper bag flooring! Sounds odd right? Floors made out of paper bags? That’s crazy! But, the results are unbelievably beautiful. In this article I am going to give you a step-by-step guide on how to turn your old floors into art work.
The first picture is my completed countertop, the second is my bedroom floor. I did this project in December 2015, and both surfaces have held up great. Even with my rough 18 month old son.
Materials you will need:
- A roll of brown construction paper (the big industrial rolls you usually see in elementary schools, I found mind at Walmart.com for $20 bucks. I was able to do my whole house with this plus my kitchen cabinets. They also have smaller rolls for smaller projects)
- Elmer’s Glue (how big of a space determines how much you need, I would start off with two of the bigger bottles then go from there. Walmart has them for under $2)
- Wood stain (optional)
- Paint brushes to apply the glue and polyurethane.
- Clean the floor or the surface that you are redoing. Sand down any rough spots.
- Tear off paper from the construction roll in different angles. Make each piece a different shape or size. There isn’t an exact way to do this, just get creative.
- Wad the paper into balls. (Get comfortable you’re going to be here for a while.)
- Now in a small container mix 50% water and 50% Elmer’s Glue.
- One by one put the wads of paper into the glue mix. Squeeze out the extra glue.
- Begin laying the paper on the floor and smoothing it out. Cover up the gaps with paper. Overlaying it actually is one of the Things that Make it look beautiful.
- If you want to stain the paper to make it a different color, I suggest you stain it before you lay it on the floor as we learned that would it save you a lot of drying time.
- Allow it to dry
- Take your Polyurethane and apply a coat. Allow that to dry then repeat at least five times.
- Enjoy your beautiful floors!
Looking for other How to’s?
Latest posts by Hailey Deemy (see all)
- Beautiful DIY Paper Bag Floor Makeover for Under $30 - November 8, 2016